Sunday 17 October 2010

Run 4, Amsterdam, complete and in a pretty fantastic time if I say so myself.

Today started early with an alarm just after 4am, 6am flight to Amsterdam, in Schipol 7am UK time. A little early since I didn't cross the start line until around 2pm today.

This time did allow the temperature to lift, as it was only 2 degrees when we landed. It was still chilly for the race, but a less freezing 10 degrees.

The race was flat as expected and I had a really good run. It winds through the streets of Amsterdam before going through the main park and finishes in stile with half a lap of the Olympic Stadium.

I realised after about 10 miles that I could possibly break the 2 hour mark, and gave everything I had to do it. The usual sprint (ish) finish didn't happen as my legs had nothing left to give, but I did it, I broke the 2 hour mark. 1 hour 58 minutes, almost 5 minutes faster than my previous personal best.

I have to admit to being over the moon at the time, when I started this challenge I hoped to break the 2 hour barrier, but in the back of my mind I knew it was going to be a tough call. To put it in perspective I have knocked almost 15 minutes of my previous record, that is more than a minute for every mile.

A very happy bunny is sitting in Schipol airport having a few celebratory beers before the late flight back to Manchester.

Thanks again for all of the support, I have now raised around £9000, which is amazing, keep it coming.

Nigel

No comments:

Post a Comment